A few Book ideas from Chapter Members
- Stamped from the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi
- An Indigenous People’s History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
(Possible “starter books” for white music educators with background information on racism in the US and white attitudes about it.)
- A Good Time for the Truth (published by the MN Historical Society)
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi)
- Pushout by Monique Morris
- We Want to Do More Than Survive by Bettina Love
(These books may be more useful with some prior background knowledge or reading).
Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain-Promoting Authentic Engagemnet and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students by Zaretta Hammond
Amplifying BIPOC artists and educators
(Youtube channels, TPT sites, websites, and upcoming events by BIPOC artists and educators, especially those with a connection to Orff Schulwerk and/or equity in music education)
Donate to support all of the resources on the DTMR website and Facebook group
Children’s picture book with rhythm stick activities by Franklin Willis
Kevin Locke is a Lakota/Anishinaabe musician known for Lakota flute (inc. creating a music classroom Lakota flute curriculum adaptable for recorder) and hoop dancing.